6 House Plants and Flowers That Can Be Deadly to Your Animals

If you are a homeowner, you know that plants add the perfect touch to your home décor. If you are a pet owner, you know that you need to be extra careful with what plants you decide to bring into, or put around, your home.

Photo Credit

While plants can be a beautiful addition to your home, it’s important to keep in mind some of these plants can be deadly; especially to your pets. I am the proud owner of a 5 year old cat (adopted, of course!) …I always keep her in mind when arranging my home and buying new items to furnish it. There’s so many things to keep in mind when you have a pet, but plants are an easy danger to avoid. Here are 6 house plants to avoid if you have pets roaming your home:

Photo Credit

  • Daffodil – This is a common flower found in many floral arrangements. You may want to think twice about keeping this flower around your home if you have cats or dogs. Daffodils, especially the bulb, is extremely toxic. Ingesting daffodils may cause nervous system programs, heart problems and gastrointestinal issues in your house pets.
  • Oleander – Have you ever seen the movie White Oleander? If you have, you know that this plant is extremely poisonous. If this plant is ingested by both humans or animals, it can be fatal – even if only a small amount is eaten.
  • Tulips – This is a very common flower that most homeowners use around their homes. If you have animals that wander the outdoors freely, you will want to keep a close on this plant. Tulip bulbs can cause convulsions, heart problems, nervous system and gastrointestinal distress if ingested.
  • Water Hemlock – This plant is considered to be the most poisonous plant found in North America (yikes!) Found in land that is marshy, this plant is often confused for edible plants such as sweet potatoes, anise, parsnip and celery. When ingested, water hemlock causes immediate seizures, salivation, coma and death.
  • Azalea/Rhododendron – This common plant is often used as shrubs around homes. While these plants are very beautiful with their large, bright flowers, they are very poisonous if ingested. Causing diarrhea, depression, vomiting and nervous system problems, ingesting this plant may even lead to coma and death.
  • Wisteria – This ornamental flowering plant is extremely common around the outside of homes. Known for it’s beautiful flowers, the seeds and pods can be extremely poisonous if ingested. Make sure your animals stay away from this plant!

by .

Previous post:

Next post: